UPDATE: WW Speaker Cabinets has decided to re-focus on other areas of their business and keep the speaker cabinet sales to OEM rather than DIY sales. After building up and testing a pair of X21's with the B&C 21DS115-4 driver for a customer I have decided to make a few refinements and offer this as a complete product for sale on our website.
This thread will be used for online questions, answers and general sharing with users. As the cabinet designer I only provide direct feedback here on our forum for this product. All sales will be handled directly through WW Speaker Cabinets on their website or by directly contacting them (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WW Speaker Cabinets, a division of WW Displays, has been building all of Seaton Sound's enclosures for more than 8 years now. They have long planned to expand to offering some useful enclosures for sale directly. I am happy to announce that I have worked with WW Speaker Cabinets to insure their first subwoofer cabinet is acoustically worthy of their craftsmanship. This first offering is the new X21 subwoofer cabinet.
Do you have space and lust for a bigger and badder sub than you see in your price range? Do you like the idea of selecting the woofer you like, having upgrade options, and the flexibility of using any amplification and DSP you like? Are you handy enough to wire up and mount a massive 21" woofer? Check out the new X21 subwoofer enclosure:
X21 Subwoofer Cabinet
- 21" ported subwoofer enclosure
- Two Massive 6" Precision Port™ flared ports for quiet vent operation, low compression, and very high output
- 310 Liter (~11 cu.ft.) net internal volume
- 19Hz tuning frequency
- Intended useful range: 16-160Hz
- External dimensions of 32" tall, 24" wide, x 32" deep.
- Precision lock-mitered, CNC construction for strength and clean corner joints
- Carefully located, dadoed bracing
- A selection of precision cut driver recess with physically verified bolt pattern for 6 different drivers with more to be added over time.
- Driver mounting by screw-locked T-Nuts which have all been run through prior to shipment
- Driver mounting screws included
- Keyhole driver grab point at 6 o'clock position to enable positioning and later removal of the woofer if needed.
- High strength neodymium magnets concealed in the face of the speaker.
- Magnetically retained, fabric grill
- Multiple veneer finishes and stain options
- Bare MDF option for those looking to save or create their own custom finish. The lock mitered construction makes the finishing process dramatically easier when there is zero end grain to fill or attempt to conceal. This is a BIG deal for those attempting gloss or smooth painted finishes.
While it's easy to sketch some dimensions of a large box and some ports, parts this large get tricky. Ports behave longer than expected, tolerances become significant over long dimensions, and slight misalignment of holes become a pain with big, heavy woofers. WW Speaker Cabinets has extensive experience constructing large items in their very large facility (see more). The cabinet construction and finishing is typically the most difficult for Do It Yourselfers, and there is always a factor of reality vs computer simulations. Here we can offer a very well engineered and constructed enclosure which has been tested to verify performance. The price is not insignificant, but IMO there is significant value here.
There are now an assortment of high performance 21" subwoofers available on the market. With a few filters most all are very useful and efficient in this low tuned cabinet. Up to 1000W into the nominal driver load, even modest excursion drivers perform exceptionally well. With higher performing drivers and their massive, 4.5" to 6" diameter voice coils, we can safely put 1600W to as much as 4000W to use with appropriate high pass filters (18-20Hz).
I will be adding some more detailed measurements, many of which are already linked on the X21 product pages for each driver family. We will also be adding recommended filter settings to provide a smooth anechoic response to start from.
A few more pictures:
Bare MDF cabinet for you to finish as you like:
X21 subwoofer in white with magnetic, black fabric grill:
I know the huge 21" woofer is hard to grasp in scale, so here's a quick pic with a can of Coke. No, that's not a 15" with some 4" ports.
Here are few fun shots I took to put some scale to these massive woofers in the warehouse before testing with the 3 of the 4 drivers B&C was nice enough to get us for detailed measurement and testing:
Seaton Sound, Inc.