Well.. finally got my first Turbo kit this afternoon. Thank you Kevin, for working out the logistics with me. I really do appreciate what you did. I know you're enjoying the Axpona just now and all it has to offer, so have fun. Very nice kit. Well packaged and put together, and a big thank you to You and Mark Seaton for all you've done to maximize the design of this box, which is no slouch to begin with.
I have 4 MFW 15s and may Turbo them all over time. I've been very fortunate with my MFWs, but for one early amp replacement and a pesky ground loop hum in my HT room, they've held up rather well over time. Maybe that's because I set the MFW amp gain at 10 o'clock and no higher and only stepped up the LFE from my AVR about 2 DB hotter then what the MCACC settings call for. I've always had plenty of bass that way and except for the occasional weird noise now and then, caused by some extreme LFE in some of today's Blu ray and DVD mixes, they've functioned fairly well within their limits.
I figure once they're all turboed, I'll likely find another use for the drivers, but eventually the amps will become available for some other lucky MFW owners out there that haven't had as good luck as I've had with mine. This first amp out, actually looks good upon visual inspection and it's not been turboed or replaced because the amp was bad. It's just being done because I want to see if you've built a better mouse trap and a safer sub. I'll get back to you all, after it's been running for awhile and hopefully then again after I've done some better tuning and calibration than the minimal effort I've put into my system thus far.
My system consists of Maggie 3.6R mains and IIIa surrounds driven by a VSX 59TXi AVR as a pre into Emotiva XPA1s on my mains with the surrounds driven by the AVR. My source is primarily the OPPO BDP 95, which is a very nice piece. The AVR and Maggies I picked up used and everything else was new. Eventually I need to do some work on the TT end of things, but all in due time.
I've taken everything apart and installed the back plate gaskets on this first Turbo and just took a break for some dinner. I'll let it sit over night for now while I meditate on the instructions for how to install the new driver properly. Everything is straight forward so far and has gone without a hitch.
More to follow later.