sandbagger Show full post »
boober
I dunno if it matters if I mention this guys name, but if you dig around a little bit like I did, you'll see that he was a tech at av123. At least that's what I found. Take that FWIW. But yea there may be pent up demand for new amps as these fail by the day and it seems to me as though this individual is even more shadier than the company he worked for. Almost makes me wonder if he was a disgruntled employee. That's just my opinion, but not to add any more pressure on you Kevin but it seems like the sooner your new amp came out, the better
Quote 0 0
Timeless_Tech
To his credit, he's taking questions and answering them--even recommending Kevin's alternative (feelin' the pressure yet, Kevin?  ). Sounds like he's primarily moving out the remaining V3 amps (no interest there for me, thank you) and avoiding the earlier versions (directly, at least).  Overall, lots better info than XX123's update today.
Quote 0 0
boober
Timeless_Tech wrote:
To his credit, he's taking questions and answering them--even recommending Kevin's alternative (feelin' the pressure yet, Kevin?  ). Sounds like he's primarily moving out the remaining V3 amps (no interest there for me, thank you) and avoiding the earlier versions (directly, at least).  Overall, lots better info than XX123's update today.


Wow!!!

This guy is now taking orders for those v3 amps, and I just got an email from him on the pricing of these things!!!

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! 
Quote 0 0
Stereodude
Exactly how much are they?
Quote 0 0
boober
Stereodude wrote:
Exactly how much are they?


Care to fathom a guess?
Quote 0 0
Josh
Your going to fall over when you hear...make sure your sitting....
Quote 0 0
boober
Josh wrote:
Your going to fall over when you hear...make sure your sitting....




I wanted to get a guess out of him

Hopefully someone else is curious as well
Quote 0 0
Stereodude
That means they're either really cheap, or really expensive.  I'm guessing really expensive.

I'll go with $250.
Quote 0 0
Josh
Kevin and Mark will surely get a kick out of it
Quote 0 0
boober
Stereodude wrote:
That means they're either really cheap, or really expensive.  I'm guessing really expensive.

I'll go with $250.


Nicely done!

He's asking 225 plus shipping so you basically got it right on the number!

Unless his shipping charges are ridiculously high as well
Quote 0 0
Stereodude
I hope they come with a lifetime warranty at that price.
Quote 0 0
boober
Stereodude wrote:
I hope they come with a lifetime warranty at that price.


He's offering a 90 day warranty 
Quote 0 0
sandbagger
WOW

when I talked to him on the phone last night, he figured he could only get a 30day out of QSC....

boober wrote:
Stereodude wrote:
I hope they come with a lifetime warranty at that price.


He's offering a 90 day warranty 
Kevin
Motor City Custom Audio
http://motorcitycustomaudio.com/
Quote 0 0
Stereodude
sandbagger wrote:
WOW

when I talked to him on the phone last night, he figured he could only get a 30day out of QSC....

Now that's confidence in your product!
Quote 0 0
Reallink
I bet Sand's probably thinking of bumping his potential alternative to at least $300 on the back of this news.  I was expecting $100-$150, NEW V3's, no or 30 day warranty.
Quote 0 0
Stereodude
Reallink wrote:
I bet Sand's probably thinking of bumping his potential alternative to at least $300 on the back of this news.  I was expecting $100-$150, NEW V3's, no or 30 day warranty.

I bet he's not.  I expect more from Kevin than trying to take advantage of people who've already been screwed by VA321.
Quote 0 0
Murrel
FYI I may have fixed the hum issue on the MFW15 amps. I am going to run it for a couple of days and I will let you all know


Murrel
Quote 0 0
Timeless_Tech
Are you doing anything special to put some stress on the amp while you let the repair "burn in"?
Quote 0 0
Murrel
The problem really is in the initial turn on and the onrush into the power supply board. I have watched this board at zero gain and at full gain no real change. 

Yes this amp runs hot mostly the transformer is generating the heat you feel. although the pwr supply board does get warm in a couple of places.


Murrel
Quote 0 0
Murrel
Timeless,

I am running a sub test tone disc on repeat continually with the gain set at 11 o'clock driving a UFW-12


So far as quiet as you can get.

Murrel 
Quote 0 0
mak99
Murrel wrote:
I am running a sub test tone disc on repeat continually with the gain set at 11 o'clock driving a UFW-12

OK, I'll bite - would there be any difference if it were driving an MFW-15 driver?  I would think not, but this is beyond my knowledge of sub amps and drivers...

Timeless_Tech wrote:
Lets see. Which way will the scale tilt when an MFW-15 owner considers whether to purchase from someone who:

A) by all references and appearances is both knowledgeable and trustworthy, although progressing toward a better replacement a bit more slowly than pent-up demand is building?

~~~  OR  ~~~

B) an unknown individual (unless it's one of the former company principals) via nothing but an email address, a so-called MFW-15 amp of unknown origin, performance, and build quality recommended by an untrustworthy individual or his representative?

TT, I'm with you - "A, please!".  I'm patiently waiting for the next round of Turbo kits to be available.  I actually was on the first round of offerings, but unfortunately passed at that time since I had just bought new front speakers...dang it!  In hindsight, I should just have spent the extra $$ and have been done with it - I would've simply dug a bit deeper when the credit card bill came due...
Quote 0 0
Murrel
I would think that if anything the UFW is harder to drive than the MFW driver as the UFW driver is very stiff excursion wise


Murrel
Quote 0 0
Mark_Seaton
Murrel wrote:
I would think that if anything the UFW is harder to drive than the MFW driver as the UFW driver is very stiff excursion wise

Murrel


The suspension has little to do with how hard a speaker is to drive.  The impedance curve and the spectral content of the signal used matters much more.  From an amplifier's perspective, the UFW-12 is a very easy load to drive, especially between 25-50Hz.  With most of these types of amps, at high output the amps are happier as more of the power gets dissipated across the load and not the output devices.   It would be more useful to test in an MFW-15 box at moderate level as the small chamber is what likely highlighted this weakness in the amps.

There were a few sources of hum which had been noted over time.  One was related to the umbilical up to the control panel and its proximity/orientation to the power transformer (a few ways to reduce this).  Another was a matter of grounding and ground loop issues, and the third was only loosely documented, but seemed to be a progressive problem as the amp died and was likely related to some of the parts with poor tolerance combined with sensitivity to heat. 

I am still pursuing a few promising options from different suppliers to insure we'll have a solution sooner than later.
Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
sales@seatonsound.net
773-290-8436
Quote 0 0
Murrel
Well then there you have it I stand corrected.


Thanks Mark


Murrel
Quote 0 0
Fangel

Mark_Seaton wrote:

I am still pursuing a few promising options from different suppliers to insure we'll have a solution sooner than later.


Mark, hopefully you will give us some good news or updates soon as to whether this replacement amp will be feasible or not; otherwise, I'll need to start looking at plan B (whatever that may be ).

 

Fangel

Quote 0 0

Add a Website Forum to your website.